Saturday 15 December 2012

It's been too long...

So I was wrong in my last post. I did not write another post "soon". I can't believe it has taken me over a year to get back to my blog. So much has happened. I have moved from Brussels to Cairo, in search of a job. So far, it's a slow process. And it's been emotional.
Egypt is going through a very tumultuous time, similar to me. The Muslim Brotherhood has taken control of the country, leading to a foggy future. I wish I could say that I have gotten used to living in such instability, but four months hasn't made it much easier. I have no idea how long I'll be staying in Egypt, or if I'll have to leave at the drop of a hat because of a civil war, or hatred towards foreigners, or strict religious laws being imposed... there are a lot of things that can go wrong. Let's hope they don't.
But enough complaining... I have decided that in order to find some stability and joy, I need to get back to cooking and writing. My boyfriend also just bought us a new oven, so I have a lot that I want to cook. The oven is Egyptian-made though, so i'm not sure of it's capabilities yet. So far I have succeeded in making a roast chicken with potatoes (that took 2 hours, as opposed to the normal 1 hour), and a chocolate cake from a cake mix (took 1 hour instead of 30 minutes). So clearly I need to figure out the temperature gauge before I start experimenting with more delicate recipes.
Right now I have a glimmer of an idea -  to start a sandwich shop here in Cairo. Unfortunately I'm not pursuing the idea until the political situation calms down a bit, and until I know more about my own job situation. But I am enjoying creating sandwich recipes! Here's one I made the other day...

Chicken and Balsamic Caramelized Apples Sandwich

1 Chicken Breast
1 Apple, peeled and thinly sliced
Butter
Balsamic Vinegar
Cinnamon
Sharp Cheddar
Honey
Dijon Mustard
Freshly-baked Country Bread Loaf (2 slices)

Fry the chicken breast with a dollop of butter and olive oil and a dash of salt for 5-7 minutes on each side, until cooked through. Remove from pan, set aside of a separate plate. In the same pan, add more butter, about a teaspoon, and put in the apple slices. Add 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar and a pinch of cinnamon. Sauté for about 3-4 minutes on a medium heat, until brown and caramelized. On one slice of bread, spread a small amount of honey. On the other slice, spread a decent amount of Dijon mustard. On the honeyed slice, add a layer of the apples. Slice the chicken breast as thinly as possible, and add a layer on top of the apples. Next, add the cheddar on top of the chicken, then close the sandwich with the other slice of bread. Cut in half and enjoy!

Hopefully I will continue to write here on my blog, whether I add recipes or not. I'm happy I'm back at it, so let's hope I can keep it up!


No comments:

Post a Comment